Mixed Berry Sour Cream Scones [Video]
Earlier this summer 222 Fifth sponsored a Boston Blogger Bake Off featuring a small but mighty group of passionate food bloggers based in the metro Boston area. One of those bloggers, Amanda Light of Prim and Propah, dazzled the team of judges, tasters, and her fellow bloggers with this recipe for Mixed Berry Sour Cream Scones.
Watch Amanda’s Boston Blogger Bake Off demo below and get inspired to cook up a batch (or several) for your friends, family, colleagues, neighbors, the subway driver, your local coffee shop barista…. anyone who gives you a good excuse to get in your kitchen and bake.
A perfect summer treat to take advantage of late summer berries at farmers’ markets near you, this recipe also works well with any frozen berries of your choice. Whichever method you choose, we know that you will love them!
Mixed Berry Sour Cream Scones
- 2 cups of all purpose flour (and a little extra for surfaces)
- 2 tsp of baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 4 tbsp sugar
- 1/3 cup cold butter
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 cup of mixed berries, can be fresh or frozen
- Combine all dry ingredients (flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, sugar).
- Cut butter into small pieces then “cut” into flour mixture with forks or pastry cutter.
- Mix berries into the flour mixture.
- In a separate bowl, combine milk and sour cream. Pour this mixture into flour mixture and blend until a sticky mixture forms. Use your floured hands if necessary.
- Put on floured surface and roll out. You can use a round cutter or make triangles before moving to the lined baking sheet.
- Cook at 425 for about 15 minutes.
Special Equipment Required:
- parchment paper
- baking sheet
contains gluten and dairy
*Optional: In the video Amanda does show her finished scones plated on the Peacock Garden dinner plate with a sugar glaze.
- 1 1/2 cups confectioner sugar
- 4 tablespoons of milk
- 2 teaspoons on lemon extract
- Whisk together until lump free.
- Drizzle freely over your cooled scones.
Be sure to post a pic to Twitter or Instagram of YOUR scones after trying this recipe and add the hashtag #222fifthrecipe to share your posts with us and other 222 Fifth fans!
Did you LOVE this recipe and video? Stay tuned, Amanda is joining us as a guest blogger VERY soon! Follow Amanda on Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, or Pinterest and try to keep up with all of her great posts on food, family, beauty, decor, DIY, and life in general!